Graduate Teaching Assistantships

These are normally a one-third time appointment, equivalent to a workload of 12-15 hours per week. Graduate Teaching Assistants are typically assigned to large lecture classes to assist professors with grading, lecturing, leading discussion, designing tests and assignments, and other responsibilities designated by the professor. Students with a continuous appointment as a graduate assistant for the academic year will receive a stipend and a waiver of resident or non-resident tuition for up to 12 hours of credit per semester.

Research Assistantships

The Department has a limited number of Research Assistantships, usually as part of grants that professors have obtained from outside sources. These involve a one-third time appointment, equivalent to a workload of 12-15 hours per week. Students who indicate an interest in a Graduate Teaching Assistantship will automatically be considered for a Research Assistantship.

Department Fellowships

Incoming Ph.D. students are eligible for departmental fellowships to support doctoral research in Nebraska, Great Plains, and Western history including:
1) the Louis Max Meyer Fellowship for Ph.D. students pursuing Nebraska History, and
2) the Sheldon Fellowship for Ph.D. students pursuing Great Plains and Western History.
These fellowships are available as part of a package that includes teaching assistantships and stand-alone teaching. Incoming Ph.D. students working outside of those fields are considered for the Othmer and Chancellor’s Fellowships for exceptional Ph.D. students that are also offered as part of a package that includes a teaching assistantship.

For advanced Ph.D. students who have passed their comprehensive exams, the Department has a limited number of competitive fellowships. These help support students while they conduct research for and write their dissertations. Eligible students may apply for these in the spring semester by applying for university-wide fellowships by the deadline set by Graduate Studies.

Travel Support

The Graduate Chair puts out a call for funding for travel for graduate students twice a year. Students can apply for funding to travel to archives and museums for research purposes or to present at academic conferences. More information about travel funding can be found here.

Other Forms of Support

For more funding opportunities see the Graduate Studies website.

For example, the Office of Graduate Studies offers Graduate Recognition Awards, Folsom Awards, and Graduate Student Fellowships via an online form. To apply for these awards/fellowships, graduate students should approach their advisers to ask for a nomination. Faculty nominators will need an updated curriculum vitae from the graduate student nominee and will upload their own letter of recommendation through the online form. Quite a few of our students have received Graduate Studies awards in recent years, so we do encourage our students to consider themselves to be competitive applicants.