Advising Questions

I love history, but I’m not sure what I could do with it if I majored in it. What employment options are open to me? With your History degree, you’ll be trained to think critically, write well, analyze material thoroughly, and work with different types of mediums. Currently, there are majors working in many fields. Some of our majors are now serving as officers in several branches of the military, working as lawyers, flying airplanes, doing research in Washington DC, and working as police officers to just name a few career choices. For more information check out the Careers for History Majors Guide from the American Historical Association.

How many hours do I need for a History major? You need 32 hours of History classes for a major. Please check the full list of requirements at the History Department Undergraduate Major and Minor Requirements page for more information.

Return to top

How do I declare a major in History? You can declare at any time by filling out a CDMA (Change of Major) form in the Arts & Sciences Advising Office at 107 Oldfather Hall.

Can I minor in History? Yes, you need 18 hours of History, and six of those hours must be at 300-400 level. Please check the History Department Undergraduate Major and Minor Requirements page for more information.

Return to top

How do I talk to an advisor in History? Contact History Department Undergraduate Advisor Dr. Ann M. Tschetter.

I am a History major but I want to double major. What do I do? It’s a great idea to double major and to do so, you’ll need to check with the major advisor in the field you’re interested in. You can find information about current department advisors on the Arts & Sciences Advising Center webpage.

I have credit I want transferred from another school or program. Who do I see?  Pick up a form from the Arts & Sciences Advising Office (107 Oldfather), fill it out and attach supporting evidence (at least a detailed syllabus; please see form), and drop it off in the History Main Office.

Return to top

What if I have questions about my overall degree? You will need to go to the Arts & Sciences Advising Office located at 107 Oldfather. You’ll find contact information on their webpage.

Where can I find out information about scholarships, internships and job opportunities? Contact the University’s Career Services for up-to-date information about work and internships relating to history at Also check the History Department Undergraduate Scholarships, Internships, and UCARE page.

How do I learn what History classes are being offered next semester? Please see MyRed for a list of all courses and times for the upcoming semester. You can find expanded descriptions of all courses the Department of History offers in the Undergraduate Catalog.

Return to top

How do I meet History faculty? The Department of History is located in Oldfather Hall, and the office phone number is 402-472-2414. The faculty is located on the 6th and 9th floor, and you should see office hours posted on office doors. You can also find contact information on the History directory.

I would like to meet other history majors; are there any societies for History undergraduates? Phi Alpha Theta is a national History Honor Society that has been in existence since 1921. The University of Nebraska-Lincoln Zeta Nu chapter offers many opportunities for undergraduates to meet each other, the faculty and learn valuable leadership skills while being actively engaged in the History Department life. To learn more visit the History Department Phi Alpha Theta page and and connect with the University’s Zeta Nu chapter on Facebook.

Return to top

I’m a graduating senior (congratulations!). What do I need to do to graduate? You’ll need to file for graduation early in the semester that you plan on graduating. The filing date is always listed in the Academic Calendar on the University’s hompage. You’ll need to file with Graduation Services at 109 Canfield. Once you’ve done that, it’s always a good idea to meet with the History Undergraduate Advisor (Dr. Tschetter) and Arts & Sciences Advising (107 Oldfather) to double check that all requirements are met.

Return to top

I’m interested in teaching History. Will my History major be enough to do that? If you are interested in teaching History, there are a couple of career paths you may take. If you’re interested in teaching History below the college level you may major in History and pursue teaching certification at the post-baccalaureate level. You may also look into a dual degree with the College of Education. To learn more about the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Education and Human Sciences, go to their website.

If you are interested in teaching History at the college level, you will need to complete your undergraduate History major plus a Master’s Degree in History. To teach at most four-year schools and at the university level, you will need to complete a doctorate in History. For graduate school information, please check out the following resources:

Return to top

Undergraduate Chair

Dr. Gorman

Vanessa B. Gorman

Department of History
619 Oldfather Hall
Lincoln, NE 68588

Phone: (402) 472-2414

Undergraduate Advisor

Dr. Tschetter

Ann Tschetter

Department of History
614 Oldfather Hall
Lincoln, NE 68588
Phone : (402) 472-3284

Main Office

612 Oldfather Hall
Phone : (402) 472-2414
Fax : (402) 472-8839