If you would like to become a history major, fill out a declaration of major form from the College of Arts and Sciences Advising Center (107 Oldfather Hall). Then consult with the chief advisor of the History Department, who will advise you about college and department requirements. To keep informed of the latest developments in the History Department, scholarships, special programs, and activities, frequently consult the Undergraduate Bulletin Board located next to the elevators on the 6th floor of Oldfather Hall, or visit this website.
On this page you may find more about
The minimum requirement for a major in history is 32 credit hours, which must include the following:
- Hist 250 and Hist 450 REQUIRED
- Six credit hours in United States or Canadian history.
- Six credit hours in European history (including British history).
- Six credit hours in Latin American, Asian, and/or African history.
- Six credit hours in the pre-1800 period.
- Eighteen credit hours at the 300 and/or 400 level.
- Complete an Academic Program Assessment at the time of graduation.
- No more than 3 credit hours taken Pass/No Pass may be applied to a History major or minor, with the exception of HIST 398 (Internship).
- 18 hours, including 6 hours in courses numbered 300 and above.
It is possible to earn a B.A. from Arts and Sciences (majoring in History, for example) while getting certified to teach secondary education by being accepted in both Arts and Sciences and the College of Education and Human Sciences. For more information, talk to the College of Arts and Sciences Advising Center, 107 Oldfather Hall.
Department of History course offerings can be viewed on the Undergraduate Courses webpage.
605 Oldfather Hall
Lincoln, NE 68588
614 Oldfather Hall
Lincoln, NE 68588
Phone : (402) 472-3284
Phone : (402) 472-2414
Fax : (402) 472-8839